Wednesday, January 13, 2010

AND... he's off


Andy left yesterday to spend 8 days in Rwanda. He is traveling there with our pastor and friend, Zac. They will be exploring the opportunity to have a long term relationship between our church and Kigali, specifically with Africa New Life Ministries and Home of Hope Orphanage. So many people in our church have a heart for, experience in, and connections with the people in Africa.
Honestly, Africa has NEVER been on my radar. Africa was scary and unknown. The "really brave" missionaries lived in grass huts there. Places like Guatemala, the Ukraine, Mexico, Russia or China seemed much more "doable" for mission work. But it sure seems like God is leading us to the people of Rwanda. So, here we go.
Through reading books, talking to people who know, seeing pictures, and movies, I have come to fall in love with Rwanda. It is an amazing country. Reconciliation and hope have transformed the country. It is now one of the safest African countries, businesses are moving in, the leadership is honorable and trustworthy, and the people are lovely.


Only a few times in my life have I felt that, as weak as I am, God is orchestrating plans and opening doors all around me in a supernatural way. The times I sense that I am right in the center of his will. That He is choosing to use me, at the same time that I feel very unusable. This is one of those times.
I am reminded that I am a jar of clay, so easily broken, as I struggle this time of year, every year, with some sort of seasonal slump. The anxiety, feelings of being overwhelmed, exhausted, short temper... By spring break it will clear, but during these times I am so aware of my weaknesses and failures. I come to depend on the Lord more, and often He uses my dependance on him to accomplish great purpose in my life.
"But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us." I Corinthians 4:8
6 weeks ago, I was telling Natalie, as she was trying to make this happen "there is NO way he can go, he has too much work, there's too little time, it's too expensive..." and here we are. Our church leadership has planned, funded and basically told him he is to go. The partners at his firm encouraged him to go and covered his clients for him. Natalie arranged for them to spend time at the orphanage where we are adopting from... everything just beautifully falling into place. It is really fun to see God work, I need to get out of the way.


A week ago, I sent out an email to a few friends, neighbors, and family, that I knew I would see over the week, asking for things to take in a donated suitcase to leave at the orphange. I received 11 soccer balls, (deflated, with pumps) tons of childrens medication, dum dums, onesies, pjs, bubbles, stickers... My girls sent several of their tutus for the girls in the orphanage to dress up. Everyone was so generous! I had to stuff it in. They also sent over $1000 cash for Andy to buy formula and groceries for the orphanage once he got there!!
I am overwhelmed by God's goodness through the people he has surrounded us by.



Please pray for the team from Austin Bible this week. That they would have a clear vision for the opportunities in Kigali, sense where God is leading for future involvement, for discernment and wisdom, traveling mercies, and unity.
Also, that Andy would have the opportunity to meet and bond with our future son. That there would be a child that he feels is clearly meant for our family.
I think that's it for now, I'll have updates when they are on the ground running...





"Many are the plans of a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purposes that prevail." Proverbs 19:21





2 comments:

efguess said...

We are so excited! We are praying for the team. Can't wait to hear about the trip.

Anonymous said...

Howdy! :) We are just beginning our adoption journey and will be going independent and using Mugisha. I have enjoyed reading your blog. I have been trying to figure out where in Texas you are from and then was so interested to know what amazing church you go to. Finally figured it out! Awesome!

If you have any words of wisdom, please send them our way! We are a little lost and overwhelmed at the time being! Blessings!